Thursday, November 27, 2014

Grading Unit Tests Using a Rubric

In an attempt to give my students useful feedback on their Unit 2 Test, I decided to use a rubric for the main concepts. Given multiple problems to assess 8 concepts, students received scores of 1-4 on each concept and then the ratings were weighted based on their importance to the unit understanding. That way the score added up to the 100 point test of Unit 1.  I can't switch to Standards Based Grading in the middle of the semester so I am doing what I can. Students were given a copy of the rubric with their test along with a contract to retake the test if they wanted. In the contract students made a commitment to create and complete their own study guide. Students could use the rubric to study for the concepts they struggled with and not waste time studying concepts they scored well on the test.

Going forward, I am going to give students the rubric for the test with the review packet. That way they know how they will be graded and not worry so much about where they will lose points. It will give them a focused way to study. Students can use the rubric to drive the conversations we have in our one on one sessions in class or their help sessions during study hall. 

I would like to develop skills for my student's in how to study efficiently and effectively for their tests. Allowing them to know whether they will do well on the test because they understand the expectations. They will also understand where their weaknesses lie and set goals to improve in those areas. Instead of just completing the assignments and hoping for the best.

My goal is to try and help students be as informed about their own learning as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment