Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Perfect, is it worth the wait?

I can honestly say from personal experience that opposites do attract. My husband came home from work yesterday with the results of a personality test. I have to say that it fit him perfectly.  As he read the paragraph descriptions for his top five descriptors, we laughed at how it described him like no other "personality test" ever has.   It said that he was structured, rigid, has to have a checklist formulated before he gets out of bed and  check things off everyday before he goes to bed, it doesn't have to be perfect-it just has to be done, frames interactions as a story teller, and seen as an expert at what he does, does a good job of blowing holes in other peoples ideas and feels a sense of pride when he "shows" others how their thinking is wrong. His bottom five had to do with: shows empathy, visionary, comfortable with instability or new situations, patience and able to see a solution to a problem not seen before.

Funny thing is, I am those things that he is not.  I feel others pain, which leads to letting it affect my feeling of worth (even though I know I have insightful ideas), want things to be perfect and have a hard time getting things completed because I want them to be perfect (not just right). I can see where I want to go but have a hard time getting there because there are so many choices of paths to take. 

Being a math and biology teacher has shown me that math teachers are much more like my husband and bio teachers are more like me. Is that because math has a structure already created for us and we just have to pass it on to students?  Old way to teach math was procedural.  Bio teachers are by nature inquisitive about the world around them and want to pass on that wonderment to their students. Life isn't always set out before us, sometimes you have to inquire why something happens like it does and then go about proving what you thought was true, contrary to others beliefs. It takes a brave soul to go against the norm. Look at the great scientists of the past. They were thrown in prison, ostracized, and ridiculed for their beliefs.

I wonder, after all these years of trying to be perfect, I should just let go and just get it done. There are far less obstacles to overcome, if you just get it done and don't worry about being perfect. People readily accept you. If you try to do something different and want it to be perfect, it may never get done perfectly. I still want to change the world, but maybe small imperfect steps would be a better option than large perfect ones. 

I am one of those people that need to see the whole picture. How one thing fits in with another and work from there. I'm not a GPS follower. Some people get out their GPS and just follow the directions. I need to actually see my position on the map to see where I'm headed, in case a detour pops up, and I can reroute myself without waiting for the GPS to recalculate.  It's like that with teaching.  I want to see where my piece fits into the grand scheme, so that my students are on the correct path and avoid being rerouted (retaught) if possible.

Can i do both,  just get it done (not perfect) and still contemplate the best route possible (perfect) for my students?

No comments:

Post a Comment